Search This Blog

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Karma and Drive-thru's

Started off the day with a dental appointment -- it's been a week for taking care of unpleasant business! The dentist found nothing wrong with my teeth and pronounced my gums very healthy so the day started looking brighter. Not only did I get a good report, but I don't have to go back for six months. So, I cheerfully started off on a second errand.

Logan needs dress shoes to wear Saturday for his speech tournament. We didn't find any at Famous Footwear yesterday, so I went shopping today and found some at Kohl's. Standing in line at Kohl's cash register, the lady in front of me opted to open a charge account to get a discount on her purchases. This protracted transaction caused the line to grow behind me. Finally, another cashier appeared and opened a second register. Although I was next in line, I was nearly trampled by people rushing to the new line. I continued to wait where I was, feeling grumpy and pissed off at all the rude people who would take advantage of poor old me slowed down by my walker. Mentally grumbling about the nerve of some people and wondering about the source of their rudeness, I remembered to pray for them. Gentle people generally have gentle lives, rude ones have rude lives.

I tried to think of a way to turn my ugly energy around and decided to get lunch at McDonalds drive-thru, paying for my own lunch and that of the car behind me. I learned to do this after being on the receiving end one morning -- it really shaped my day. I watched in my rear-view mirror as the car behind me pulled up to the cashier's window -- she also paid -- for the car behind her!!! I love it -- a beautiful example of playing it forward. I like to think the chain continued for a while. I'm happier now!

No comments:

Post a Comment