Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round

When Ben arrived home yesterday, he let me know he had a band practice that evening at 6:30 Normally, that would not be a problem, but no day seems to be normal around here. Here's what the past 24 hours have looked like:
  • 3:30 -- Ben arrived home and I learned about band practice planned for 6:30 that evening. Problem is I have book club scheduled at my house starting at 6:00 Further problem, Logan has football practice ending at 5:30.
  • 4:00 -- Contacted friend Sharon and asked her to arrive early for book club to serve as surrogate hostess. No problem. Thanks, Sharon.
  • 4:00 -- Ben called Grandpa to arrange his transportation. Grandpa was unavailable. Called neighbor Beth and she said "sure."
  • 5:30 --Went to school to pick up Logan. Over-zealous coach kept the team until 6:10. Book club started without me. At MY HOUSE.
  • 6:20 -- Leaving football practice with Logan in car, I passed Beth in her car filled with kids. She had just dropped Ben at band practice and asked if I needed her to pick him up. I replied, "yes, please, he gets off at 8:30." She said, "no problem, I have to pick up Cam in Nixa at 8:15. I can be back by 8:30." I wondered why all the kids were in the car, but couldn't chat as we passed each other in traffic.
  • 6:30 -- Arrived home to find book club in full swing. Sharon did such a good job, I don't think anyone noticed I wasn't there. For this club, pot-luck finger food is the first order of business, and since they are all such good providers, I wasn't missed. And there was plenty left for me when I finally did get home half an hour late.
  • 9:00 -- Beth delivered Ben safely home and the book club people departed.
  • 9:15 -- Ben declared he has nothing to wear the next day and started a load of laundry.
  • 10:00 -- I put Ben's laundry in the dryer and went to bed.
  • 2:00 A.M. -- I am awakened by a thunderstorm. Can't get back to sleep -- see 4:00 on the clock face.
  • 5:00 A.M. -- I guess I did fall asleep, because I awaken to the alarm. Time to get Logan up, fed, and driven to school for 6:00 A.M. weight training.
  • 5:45 -- pull out of the driveway and see Beth in her garage with Cam getting in the car. Am able to give Cam a ride to weight training. Wish I had known earlier (?) that he was going so Beth could have been spared getting ready to go. Will work this out for future mornings.
  • 6:15 A.M. --I arrive back home and awaken Ben so he can leave at 6:45 for his early band practice.
  • 6:45 -- I think I drove Ben to band. I hope so, he's not here, and I have no recollection of exactly how and when he left the house.
  • 8:00 -- I realized it was nap time and went back to bed.
  • 11:30 -- Awoke and did a load of laundry.
  • 1:00 P.M. I sit at my computer in my PJs.
  • Tonight and tomorrow morning -- We get to do the same thing all over again, except no book club, but I have three more band uniforms to hem. And I don't have it so bad. Beth has four kids, her husband is out of town, and she was able to help me! And oh, did I mention she has a stress fracture in her foot so she's clomping around in a walking cast? Does this pace cause stress fractures?
And yet, I love this life. The boys have inspiring teachers who are willing to work overtime to make sure the boys perform at the top of their ability. I have wonderful, willing, and supportive friends and neighbors I can draw upon with a moment's notice. I get to participate in a great book club. And I have the joy of a life with two terrific boys. What more could I ask for? (Well, maybe eight hours of uninterrupted sleep once in a while.)







No comments:

Post a Comment