Search This Blog

Sunday, August 7, 2011

And It's Good For You

My favorite sneaky way to get lots of nutrition into the boys.

Prepare 1 C. organic brown rice in 2 C. organic chicken broth
Stir in 1 C. cubed chicken left over from last night's rotisserie chicken
Add a can of black beans
Add 1 can chopped Ortega chiles
Add 1 C. frozen corn
Stir in about 1/2 C. medium salsa (to taste)
Put in 9" square pyrex pan and top with 1/2 to 1 C. grated cheese

Heat at 350 degrees until it is hot all the way through.

This doesn't have much chicken in it, so a rotisserie chicken lasts us for several meals. We eat the parts that stick out the first night -- drumsticks, thighs, and wings. Night #2 I make this dish which lasts two nights and I still have plenty of chicken for sandwiches and chicken salad.

I've heard that the combination of rice and beans is the equivalent of a complete protein. I'm not a nutritionist, so I can't say for sure, but I like to think so because it is always a challenge to get Ben to eat enough protein. For veggies it has the corn, salsa, and peppers -- you could add others. Serve with a green salad and you are over the top nutrition-wise!

No comments:

Post a Comment