Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Still doing that Veggie thing

This week I'm challenging myself to use up the vegetables in as few dishes as possible (except the peppers; I'll freeze some of them and use them all winter). Ben and I drove out to the farm to pick up our share this afternoon. And, as usual, the smell of freshly picked vegetables mingled with a little bit of "clean" dirt, filled the car. I couldn't resist the smell and grabbed a few leaves of peppery fresh arugula to snack on during the ride home. This week's haul included kale, arugula, lettuce, beets, carrots, onions, peppers, summer melon, butternut squash, Thai basil, red and yellow cherry tomatoes.
Tonight our lasagna meal was enhanced by this salad with farm-fresh lettuce, red onion, carrot, red tomato, baby yellow cherry tomatoes, grated carrot, and diced red bell pepper. Tomorrow a crock pot meal will use some of the others. I plan a potato salad later in the week with some unusual ingredients. I'll show it to you when I get to it.

School starts the day after tomorrow. The boys had a "farewell to summer" sleepover last night. Because we didn't take a vacation trip this summer, the boys have had a sleepover once a week, but now it's back to the old grind.

No comments:

Post a Comment