Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Precious Moments

Sometimes I worry that the boys are missing out because I don't have the stamina or the money to take them on an exotic vacation over spring break. A ski trip for instance. I was able to do that when my older grandkids were growing up. But this week we are staying home and Ben and Logan have never been skiing.

However, a couple of nights ago, I went to bed early, curled up with a book (the last chapters of Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver). Logan lay on the bed next to me using my Kindle Fire to watch a movie. We didn't talk, but we lay side by side for an hour or so, just breathing the same air and feeling the warmth of our nearness.

This morning, Ben woke me up at 6:45, turned the light on dimly, sat on the bed by me and gave me a fifteen minute detailed description of the dream that had awakened him. I lay there quietly as he threaded his way through his recollection. Somehow, I felt honored that he would awaken me to share his dream. It was a wonderful way to start the day.

I am grateful for the stillness these older years give me -- that I don't have the need to be constantly in motion and that I do have time to lie still and just be. It is a joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment