Search This Blog

Thursday, August 16, 2012

And They're Off

 Logan waits for the bus to take him to the first day of his sophomore year. He's 6'1" and 195 pounds and considers himself a jock. His face displays his typically teen-aged sullen attitude. In spite of his best efforts, his kind sweet self often shines through (not this morning, though!). He'll be taking a second year of Spanish, Honors Algebra II, Honors English II, Honors Biology I, Honors Contemporary American History, Marketing, Weight Training, and Competitive Speech and Debate.
Ben is taking the car just because he can; and I have no need for it today. He wants to get there early so he can look around. His classes include: Band, Chorale, French II, English IV, Advanced Placement Calculus, Advanced Placement Physics, Anatomy and Physiology, and Honors World History II. The Advanced Placement classes (Physics and Calculus) are eligible for college credit. He was also qualified for Advanced Placement English, but couldn't work it into his schedule and still take all the music and the other AP classes. I'm certain he will be intellectually prepared for college and we're working on pulling together the social end of it.

It was making me feel weepy to send him off for his last year of high school, but before he could pull out of the driveway, a caravan from next door pulled into the street -- the Dad's truck piled high, Mom's SUV full of boxes, and the daughter's shiny VW bug crammed front and back with odds and ends. She is on her way to Kansas City for a six-year medical degree program. KU has a program that combines medical school and pre-med in an intense six-year program. Now, that brought tears to my eyes. She's an only child -- I can't imagine how wrenching it is for those parents to send her off.

Next door on the other side, child #2 starts high school, and child #1 transfers to Catholic High School in Springfield. All around me are bigger transitions than we face today, so I guess I'll try to cheer up. 

2 comments:

  1. Awww neighbor you made me tear up. I could so relate this morning to the sullen teen attitude. Tried to talk with Amanda and I got eyerolls and looks of disgust. It was nice to come back in to my two little one who were so happy. Hard to believe Ben will be at college next year. I was kinda down today too, found myself talking to the dog alot. Your grandkids are so lucky to have such a good grandma.

    ReplyDelete