Search This Blog

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Hillbilly Cookin' -- NOT

This is what I made for dinner a couple of nights ago:
2 cups pork loin cut into 1" cubes
4 cups swiss chard
2 good-sized Yukon Gold potatoes sliced
1/2 sliced onion

Using very large skillet, saute pork in EVOO until cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
Fry the potatoes and onions until cooked through. I brown them on high heat, cover and reduce heat until cooked through. Stir raw swiss chard into the potatoes, cover and let wilt. Add pork back to the mixture, season to taste and serve.

I could have made the same dish using hog jowls, turnips, turnip greens, and onions and it would be perfect hillbilly fare and taste the same as the dish I prepared -- maybe a little better because hog jowls are really just another form of bacon.

Then it occurred to me that there are "uptown" versions of lots of hillbilly food. Take sausage, biscuits, and red eye gravy for instance. How much different and how much the same would it be if I used prosciutto, hollandaise sauce, and a baguette? In fact, add an egg and it is eggs benedict!

Or okra. In the south, this nasty vegetable is either served as a slimy mess, or breaded in cornmeal and fried. But, it is really good if you sprinkle it with garlic and rosemary infused olive oil and grill it, taking care not to pierce the pods. Add salt and pepper -- delicious!

I think this is a cookbook waiting to be written. I wouldn't mind a bit if you steal the idea from me, I'd even help you with it, if you like. I'm not going to get around to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment