Search This Blog

Friday, May 22, 2009

No Accounting for Taste

I love this chutney/salsa on chips, crackers, bread, rice, as a salad dressing, on pork, chicken, or fish:
1 avocado - diced
1 piece fruit - diced (I have used mango, orange or peach)
1 small or 1/2 large jalapeno, seeded and diced very fine
1 bunch cilantro chopped fine
2 cloves minced garlic
2 scallions or spring onions, thinly sliced

Toss together and enjoy!


I made it tonight and served it to the kids and Logan's friend from next door. The friend took one look at it and said, "Oh, boy, those are all of my favorite foods." And he ate it by the spoonful -- but he didn't put any Swiss Chard on his plate. In all fairness,when I said, "Rice, Chicken, and Swiss Chard are required, all else is optional." he did eat a tablespoonful of Swiss Chard. Ben and Logan both said, "I like Swiss Chard." I never knew -- I always thought I was pulling something over on them when I got them to eat it. But, they wouldn't touch the scarey chutney. Tonight I served white rice -- Basamati -- I usually serve brown rice, but the kids ask for white as a treat. I cook it in organic chicken broth and feel like I'm getting a little something good in their tummies.

Today the boys planted a bit of our garden, a few heirloom tomatoes, canteloupe, and another plant we thought was canteloupe, but looks suspiciously like a pepper plant. We'll see. Tomorrow we'll finish the seeds, beans, pumpkins, more canteloupe, and bunches of flowers. We'll leave most of the vegetables to the CSA farm this year. Herbs are growing in hanging baskets on the porch (I took down the fake poinsettias that have been there for a year and a half) and I especially love my rosemary, dill, and basil.

We went into town today to get a new cell phone for Logan, his old one went through the wash and some of the keys didn't recover, although was still able to use speed dial and receive calls. He wanted one with a keyboard so he could text more easily; we got one for free and for $5 he can send 200 messages a month. He is such a social animal. Ben and I are more curmudgeonly and introverted.

No comments:

Post a Comment