Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Something Old , Something New




Brittany and Bill are getting married this spring. Her engagement ring is an heirloom diamond from Bill's great-great grandmother Minnie Pauline (Nichols) Blair -- my grandmother. Ernest Blair gave her this diamond in 1908 and they were married December 26 of that year. The diamond, an old miner's cut, next saw service as a birthstone ring for me. On my 18th birthday, April 18, 1957 it was given to me set in a traditional solitaire setting. Some time later, I decided I wanted it reset so that it looked more like a birthstone ring instead of an engagement ring. In that setting, it now graces Brittany's left hand.


Here's the same ring on my grandmother's hand on her wedding day, 104 years earlier.
 
Brittany is a beautiful girl -- I wish I had a picture of her to post here. Here's to a long and happy marriage for Bill and Brittany.



No comments:

Post a Comment