Search This Blog

Sunday, November 13, 2011

They're Not Finished Yet


Quilt #41







Quilt #42
(I know, the Ultimate Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything)

 This pair is for a pair of sweethearts -- my sister-in-law, Kathy and her husband, my brother, Rick.
Kathy came to stay with me for a week when I had knee surgery in June, and since I have a standing offer of a quilt to anyone who comes to visit, I had to pay up. I gave her some choices of completed quilts and quilts in progress. She chose the top quilt which was about half finished, and she asked if I would make one for Rick as well. Never quite sure if I'm inflicting my quilts on the recipient, or if they are really appreciated gifts, I was delighted with her request. Kathy's quilt is made from "traditional" prints mostly with little flowers on a contrasting background. For Rick's quilt, I used the same pattern but chose only geometric prints and plaid homespuns. Can you spot the one block made of geometric prints that is identical in both quilts?
The actual quilting of #41 is meandering feathers, while #42 has a macho woodsy theme with moose, bears, and pine trees. If you click on the images you can see the quilting in the larger views. The colors in these pictures are kind of off, for some reason I couldn't get a picture that looked true. The actual colors are darker, richer, and more subtle. And the quilts aren't finished yet because I still have to name them and sew on labels. I expect to have them finished and mail them off on December 5th after I've toted them around for "show and tell" and my various quilt clubs.

No comments:

Post a Comment